Tuesday, May 17, 2011

A False Alarm

Dear Pickles,

Today I had an interesting day at work.  It was 3 o'clock in the afternoon.  I was at work trying to resolve a client issue with my friend, Alfonso.  Before we went to speak to our friend, Ken, to help us with our client issue, I told Alfonso that I had to go to the bathroom.  (I spend a lot of time there every day going #1 since you have nestled so close to my bladder.)  After taking care of business, Alfonso and I went to Ken's office to discuss our client issue.

As your mother tried to explain what she believed was going on with the client, I was stopped mid-sentence with a strange feeling.  "Hmm... What's that?  Is that...?  No... It can't be..."  Sensing something wrong, Ken and Alfonso looked at me.

"Are you okay?" they asked.

"Um... I either just peed my pants... or my water just broke," I announced.

A flurry of activity happened from that moment to get me out of the office and to the hospital.  Alfonso agreed to drive me (even though I wasn't having any signs of contractions).  On the way to the hospital, I called the triage nurse, and she advised me to do the following before coming to the hospital: change into some dry clothes, put on a sanitary pad, and if it's still wet or soaking in 15 minutes, I should come to the hospital.  If it's dry in 15 minutes, I probably just wet my pants.

Instead of going to the hospital, I asked Alfonso to take a detour to CVS to buy some adult diapers for me (what a trooper!).  Then, we went to his house, since it was nearby, and I borrowed some sweat pants from his wife, Beth.  I did as the triage nurse ordered; I changed my clothes and waited.  All I could think was, "I'm not ready.  I haven't even finished the nursery.  I haven't finished my birthing classes!  I don't even have a bag packed!  Crap!"

After 15 minutes - there was nothing.  I called the triage nurse back, and we concluded that I just wet my pants.  She said that it was a common occurrence for women at my stage in pregnancy since the baby is pressing down on the bladder.  (I thought that it was weird since I literally went potty seconds before the accident... Oh well.)  At that news, I decided to go back to work.

On the way back to work, I couldn't help but think of this scene from the movie, Billy Madison:





Best quote from this scene? "You ain't cool unless you pee your pants."  So there you go.

Love,

Mommy

4 comments:

  1. oh my goodness! this is too funny! I love that you are sharing your stories, this does seem to happen a lot! When these little things happened, I always worried that with so many false alarms, how would I ever know when the real thing was to come? rest assured, YOU WILL, you can't miss it...
    xoxo
    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I can laugh about it now, but I was freaking out a little bit at the time. Just another story to share with her on this crazy journey. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep. Now, pack that freaking bag. Tonight, if you haven't already. This is no time to tempt fate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One step ahead of you, JP.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...